In many situations, performing linear regression analysis is not easy. Many individuals or researchers wants to test their data. The importance of the linearity is about using the perfect statistical methods required. Regardless, before using any methods like linear regression, a test must need to be performed otherwise the results will not be accepted.
SPSS is a powerful statistical system allowing researchers to observe about the data and results. To use the statistical software, here is the steps that you need to do.
Steps on How to Test Linearity in SPSS
- Enter the data in SPSS. Entering the data needs to be done manually
- Enter the data in the spreadsheet entitled data editor
- Put each datum in every row beginning from the top
- Open scatterplot menu. Go to the graphs in the menu bar
- Click scatter and dialog box will appear
- Choose simple in scatterplot dialog box
- Construct scatter plot. Choose the variables you want to test for linearity in simple scatterplot dialog box. Choose the Y and X variables. In testing the linearity, it does not matter which variables are chosen as Y and X but it is needed to follow the standard method wherein you need to make the Y as the dependent variable
- Observe the result plot for linearity. If you observe a shape in your data, it is likely that your population is not linear in terms of variables you’re analyzing but if you don’t observe any oval shape, your data fail the test of linearity.
Follow Right Steps on How to Test for Linearity
Testing for the linearity is not easy for some. If you don’t know what you need to do, SPSS will help you to test the linearity. It helps you in getting the results you need. All you need to do is to have SPSS installed on your computer so that you can begin using it. After that, you need to follow the steps for testing linearity to get desired results.